Introducing our BCIR seminar:
There are many ways to get in touch with Palms staff and BCIR alumni, but what better way than in person? And even better than that, this incredibly informative event is FREE. Our BCIR seminar is a great place to learn all there is to know about the surgery itself along with an opportunity to ask questions freely to our staff, surgeon, and former patients, our "alumni." BCIR has the potential to be a life changing option for the unhappy ostomate, and we encourage you to attend and get connected to our community. Our next seminar is:
- Ernest Rehnke M.D.
- Velma Bragg, R.N., WOCN
- Susan Kay, R.N.
3101 Airport Boulevard
Mobile, AL 36606
Here's what you’ll get:
- An informative presentation on the Barnett Continent Intestinal Reservoir surgery. You'll learn all the statistics, risks involved, outcomes, case studies, and who is a candidate for BCIR.
- You will learn the history and differences between the Koch pouch, Barnett pouch and the J-pouch.
- You will learn about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) to include Ulcerative Colitis, Familial Polyposis and Crohn's disease.
- A question & answer session with the surgeon. You’ll have an opportunity to ask any question that may come to your mind about the surgery and life with BCIR.
- Opportunities to meet past BCIR alumni. They are the true experts, and conversation about day-to-day life with a BCIR will be invaluable to you as you weigh your options.
- Meet with our surgeon and staff. In attendance will be Dr. Ernest Rehnke, M.D., Susan Kay, R.N., and Velma Bragg, R.N., WOCN (she is also a BCIR alumni!).
This is not the end of the road for you.
Whether you are unhappy with your current ostomy/ileostomy or you're in search of a surgical alternative due to a failed kock -pouch, j-pouch/IPPA, or ileostomy – the Barnett Continent Intestinal Reservoir (BCIR) could be the option that finally gives you your life back. It has for so many already.
Is this for me?
Are you in search of a better quality of life? BCIR patients report a return to or increase in previous work, social activities, sports and physical exercises, and enjoy the freedom of a normal diet – all without an ostomy bag or appliance. If you are suffering from Familial Polyposis (FP) or medical unresponsive Ulcerative Colitis (UC) or individuals who have problems associated with an alternative procedure such as a failed kock-pouch or a j-pouch/IPPA, you'll want to learn about this continent ileostomy. This seminar is free, and it's a prime opportunity to connect with those who can answer all your questions about the Barnett Continent Intestinal Reservoir or BCIR.
Here's how to get involved:
We travel around the country for these seminars, educating on BCIR and talking with people like YOU who want to know more about their ostomy options. There are many ways to get connected with our online community, or our "BCIR family" as so many of our alumni say. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay current on upcoming seminar locations, as well as on our blog. The seminar itself is an important first step in getting to know our community, and ultimately, if BCIR is right for you.
Register for the event online at BCIR-seminars.com and also RSVP on our Facebook event so we know you're coming.
Are you ready to learn how different life can be with BCIR?